Learners will understand the role of brick in construction and design, as well as its benefits and contemporary applications. An overview of the manufacturing process and sustainability properties will be discussed, followed by a thorough review of ASTM brick standards and classifications. The course will provide an understanding of brick sizes, shapes, and orientation, and recommendations for specifying and designing with brick.
- Explore brick-building history, benefits, and trends, and understand the differences between molded and extruded brick.
- Review brick’s manufacturing process, and identify its sustainability properties.
- Illustrate brick’s physical properties through ASTM standards and classifications.
- Describe different types of brick and common functions, and envision the creative application of various special shapes and sizes.
- Specify planning and design details for brick walls, including key installation considerations.
Pre-requisite: Basic knowledge of brick construction.