Creating spaces that embrace nature have both physical and mental health benefits. These benefits enhance the occupants experience in an indoor space creating the ambiance of outdoor living. In this course, we will discuss how the exposure to nature through living green walls contribute to LEED, WELL, and other green rating systems. We will cover common places where you might find living green walls, and where exposure to nature can make a dramatic difference, including offices, hotels, retail shops, and healthcare. This course will examine different types of living green walls available, how systems are designed, installed, and maintained. In addition, the course will look at the latest large scale green wall technology and how it can be applicable to a variety of applications.
- Describe how rising urbanization affects our connection to nature and how biophilic design, which includes living green walls, can help to combat this problem.
- Explore how living green walls can help projects achieve LEED and WELL Building Standard certifications.
- Identify the different types of living green wall systems, their components, and the benefits of each, as well as how irrigation and lighting work with the system.
- Understand the design and construction of living green walls, plant selection, and how to maintain the system for optimal functionality.
- Discuss case studies where living green walls were used in different applications.
Pre-requisite: Basic knowledge of biophilic design.