Modern open spaces create a unique set of challenges when it comes to acoustics, particularly because many new buildings are designed with open plans and open plenums. Fortunately, there are innovative acoustic systems on the market that are designed to integrate with open plenums that can help to overcome these challenges. This course will discuss customizable acoustical solutions for open plenum design, including baffles, beams, clouds, and acoustical wall panels, which are available in a variety of materials like metal, wood, fiberglass, and felt. The course will explore the importance of acoustical design and how these open plenum ceiling systems can transform a space aesthetically while maximizing acoustics.
- Examine the importance of acoustical design for open spaces and how free-hanging and direct-mounted ceiling systems provide acoustic control.
- Identify how to transform a space using customizable metal ceiling systems for open plenums.
- Assess how to enhance open plenums with wood ceiling systems.
- Describe how to design with innovative fiberglass ceiling systems, including oversized panels, clouds, and baffles, to achieve dramatic, sculptural design.
- Explore how to use felt ceiling systems to maximize acoustics and aesthetics.